Tuesday, April 3, 2012

One hour starts now!

Right after I left KDU after getting the results, I went straight to get all my ingredients for the cook off! Grocery shopping! Once everything was purchased, straight away I went back home and started practising, gotta make the fresh pasta within 10 minutes so it could chill in the fridge for 20 minutes (the least) while I cook the rest of the parts of the lasagna. At the same time, I had to make a new casing for the lasagna to a smaller portion. Manage to get it done in time for both tries! So packed up everything I need for Sunday and rested. I wish! Was over excited till I couldn't sleep the whole night, I think I manage to cramp in 2 hours of sleep before I know it, I was up and packing and rushing off to KDU, thank God for Sunday traffic, it was smooth sailing and there in less than an hour. 


Parked the car and carried everything out in a big box. For the cook off, we were to prepared everything from scratch. Means you can't peel the onions, or chop anything, or have pasta sheets made in my case. It was early in the morning, I was in the second batch for the cook off, 6 contestants were in the 8.30am slot, the people I met during the first audition were in there. I was with a new bunch of people I never met during the auditions, only met Joanne Thien who made the Shepherd Pie during the first auditions with me, 6 of us for the 9.30am slot. Here I met 4 other contestants, I'm so sorry for not remembering your names, and here is also where I met Brian Chen and Ary Malik. We hit it off instantly! Our bunch was the noisiest and most fun bunch ever! I know Mummy Ary (as I call her Mummy at MasterChef Kitchen) was a host for kids show, I did watch from time to time and met her sister Min Malik, who I've bumped into when I was working at EMI before, later she said that I look familiar, probably during those entertainment days I had. 



Brian came with a basket full of herbs and it look so pretty! We introduced each other while we were in the waiting room and MasterChef Australia was playing on the screen, and we were so excited! Till the crew couldn't even brief us cause we were nervous and jumping around and just plain having fun!

Time went on and we waited right outside the kitchen with all our stuff, we manage to get to know each other further! I didn't know Mummy Ary is 40 with 3 gorgeous girls! As everyone said it, she doesn't look 40! Brian was an Auditor for Shell. One guy, his name gosh I can't remember but was a bodybuilder and another lady. So sorry again, the day was just a blur of fun and joy of cooking! 

Before we went into cook off

Finally, time to begin! We have one hour to reproduce the dish we served during the first audition. The reason that we have to reproduce the same dish is that so to make sure that the dish is really made by us and not something you bought somewhere and do a different dish on the cook off day. My station and Brian was in the same area, we were back to back. He had an oven at his area so we discuss if he were to use that oven while I use the bigger one at the back area. 

The crews made sure we took everything we needed and tested everything works before we started. And off we go, our one hour starts now! First thing I worked on was the pasta sheets as it needs to rest for 20 minutes, knead and knead and knead and cling wrap and in the chiller it goes in the first 10 minutes. Next I started chopping everything to cook. 3 things to cook, bechamel sauce, the tomato sauce and sautéing the spinach. I run both stove and basically multi-tasked everything. I was finished with the cooking part, now to start rolling the pasta sheets. Took me 5 minutes to roll it, I just did it as fast as I could, and assemble the lasagna within 3 minutes and in the oven it goes to set and melt the cheese and cook the sheets, I think I put everything together within 40 minutes. Had 15 minutes to cook in the oven.

I wasn't used to the big ovens in the KDU's kitchen, it wasn't browning properly! Panic mode set in! 5 minutes in and it's still not browning, and I only have 10 minutes left! Brian was done with his oven, I rush and place my lasagna into the smaller oven and put it on full blast! It started browning a little and I had to take the risk, time is almost up and I have to get all the things ready on the cart to wheel in. Time's up. Getting ready to be judged.

I decided to make the vinaigrette in front of the judges during the 5 minutes of plating and presenting, making use of the time as well as showcasing a bit of skill. I was the last contestant to leave the kitchen, whoever was done first can proceed to being judged. Because of my issues with the oven, I was last. I started getting a little disappointed with myself but nevermind, at least the waiting time will let the Lasgana set properly so that when I take it out of the casing, it'll be in good shape and presented well.



Taken from MasterChef Malaysia Website, under Video Gallery

Next was to take the lasagna out of the casing. The judges did ask me about the casing, I mentioned I made it myself so that I would serve one portion instead of a whole tray. Everything was made with aluminium foil. This part, I was shaking a little. I was so scared that it would come out like mush. 

Taken from MasterChef Malaysia Website, under Video Gallery

Allhamdullilah, it slides out beautiful!!!

Taken from MasterChef Malaysia Website, under Video Gallery

A little wipe to clean the edges of the plate, a must to do before the plate goes out to the customers/diners, the plate must not have any fingerprints! As Chef Joe said in one of the episodes, 'Kami tidak mahu ada cap jari di atas pinggan, ini bukan Balai Polis! Ini MasterChef!' So I brought the dish to the 3 judges, Chef Zubir, Chef Joe and Chef Raymond from KDU (I only got to know Chef Raymond when he taught us how to make breads during the one week crash course at KDU, looking back at this video, it was nice to see him here (:)

Taken from MasterChef Malaysia Website, under Video Gallery

The judges evaluated and gave their comments, from what I remember, Chef Raymond didn't say anything but smiled. I explained everything I can and they said their thank yous and I was ushered out towards the interview room where we were interview on our experience. 

I spent the rest of the day waiting for my stuff that I brought along (utensils, plates, pasta machine) to be returned to me as the crews cleared up our items after cooking and judging. It took a while for me to get my stuff back because some of it went missing. While I was waiting, talked with a few other contestants and the crews were working really hard looking for my stuff, eventually I got everything back! And by the time I went home, it was after 1pm and I was so tired I slept off with a smile on my face. Result waiting game begins!

For anyone who is interested in watching all Top 40 MasterChef Malaysia contestants cook off auditions, videos are available here MasterChef Malaysia Video Gallery

Love, 

Leena

No comments:

Post a Comment