Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hello Culinary World :)

The day has finally arrived! Heading to register myself for MasterChef Malaysia Season 1 Top 40. Nerve wrecked because I never been in a big scale competition like this, happy because I know, it is going to be the best thing ever and sad to leave my family and friends for I don't know how long! My family and close friends were there to send me off. We were there early so took the chance to have breakfast and I remember how excited I was. My dad was giving me all the pointers for Malay food, mummy was giving pointers on Chinese, my brother was telling me to always be myself and accept every critic as a good thing. My friends re-assured me that I am going to be fine and know I can do well. It was an mixed emotion day. I'm leaving my family and friends to pursue one of my ultimate dreams in life. This is going to take me a step closer to what I want to achieve.




40 contestants and family members gathered at the office in PJ to register ourselves. We started to get to know each other, met with Brian and Ary since I last saw them during cook off time. It was so surprising to meet so many people with the same passion, cooking. Everybody had different background, fashion designer, lawyer, jewellery designer, driver, students, housewives, actress, auditor, freelancer and the list goes on. Everyone is here for one thing. To cook the best dishes of their life!


After registering, we were briefed on our schedule. The organizers introduced us to the people who will be taking care of us, our Talent Coordinators who will be tending to our schedule and making sure everyone is where they are suppose to be during the whole time we are in this competition. We were also introduced to the people who made it possible for MasterChef to happen in Malaysia. No words can describe how exciting this is. Do you even know how exciting it is??? We always see a lot of competition/reality show that deals with singing, modelling, losing weight and much more but this is for cooking. Completely different from any of the other and it was MasterChef, known and adapted in 30 countries all over the world.


Time for us to head off to our place we would be staying. I started getting to know the people there, especially Mastura, we clicked so well since the start. And turns out we are housemates. It was a real ride with all of us in the bus, and the amount of luggages everyone brought along. Couldn't fit the bottom so some had to be place along the rows of the seats. Once we got there, it was a little hectic for the Talent Coordinators to handle all of us at one go but we got ourselves settles down in our rooms and as we waited for dinner time, time to get to know the rest of the housemates. I was in the same house with Imelda and Amita.


As the day progressed, I ventured around the placed we stayed and was happy to discover a nice pool area to soak my stress away as the my time there progresses. We would start off with our training for a week at KDU College to learn the basics of culinary. This, is by far the most precious thing to ever happen being in MasterChef. Getting a chance to learn about the basics. When you learn through Internet, things might be wrong and your recipes might not turn out well. But here, we would get the right guidances from the lecturers and ask questions. Where else would you get 1 semesters worth of basic knowledge crammed up into 1 week? It was hectic for sure but the people I met during the time at KDU College gave me a clearer perspective of what I really wanted in life.


I wanted to pursue studies in culinary a while back but looking at the fees, it kinda scared me off. People would say that 1 week won't be enough. This surely was just enough to quench my thirst in the culinary world. Everyday is a learning process, and this would give it a nice start. We started off with 1 day full of theory. From getting to know the people involved for the week at KDU, to kitchen utensils, basic cuts, kitchen employees positions and so much more. As we progress, we would be in the hot kitchen, cold kitchen, bread and pastries. The best part was being in the Molecular Gastronomy kitchen where I saw the equipments I dream of playing with. Blast chiller, ice cream machine, sous vide machine, molecular ingredients, syphon and a whole lot more. This is candy land!!! I WANT ALL THESE TOYS!!!


One of the classes in the hot kitchen.

Everyday, we learn and learn and there's so much to learn. Believe me, this experience, you can never get it anywhere! There's so much that has happened during the start of my journey, I wish I could write everything but it would be the longest post ever! And to share with all of you, the auditions for the 2nd season of MasterChef Malaysia starts this weekend! As well as MasterChef Selebriti airing this weekend too. I'm super excited to watch! Really miss the kitchen though.


I know this post took a while to get here, it's been such a crazy hectic May and it's not stopping. Hoping to go for a holiday soon to release some stress. Anyway, this is what I have for the time being. Till the next post, missing everyone involved in MasterChef Malaysia. Don't forget, if you love food, and you're a rock star in the kitchen, go for it, chase your passion and live it! 


Last day of class! We graduated! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment